Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Chloe's friends at the MTC name her spirit animal as a Snail LOL


Cumriabsua!!!!
Okay I'm just gonna start with definitely the most exciting part of the week: Our devotional last night was Elder Dallin H. Oakes!!! Yep yep....a member of the quorum of the twelve apostles came and spoke to us. It was so awesome. He talked about why we are different from other churches, but emphasized the fact that pretty much all religions across the world have truth and good in them. We are simply offering them the opportunity to add to the good they already have. So I loved that. One thing he said that really struck me was: "If the Lord calls you, he qualifies you." Being a missionary is super hard, and I know it's only going to get harder. Sometimes I really feel like I'm not cut out for this. BUT. I know that God called me to this specific mission because I have something to offer and because I totally CAN do it. If we put our trust in Him, He will help us along every step of the way and He will qualify us to do what he has asked of us. Nephi 3:7 anyone???? "I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." I can already tell that He has helped me so much and I know that will continue to happen throughout my mission.
Speaking of people who are helping me, I just have to go on a short rant about how AMAZING the teachers here are. Both of my Lookruus are so so so awesome, which I know you already know. But it's not just them. All of the teachers in our zone, whether they teach Vietnamese or Lao or Cambodian, are always helping us in any way they can. Sometimes other teachers will give their class a water break, and in those 3 minutes of a break they have, they will come into our class if we don't have a teacher and just sit down with us and be like, "How can I help you? What questions do you have about your investigators? What questions do you have about the language?" They genuinely love helping missionaries and love helping us be the best missionaries we can be. I'll let you guys in on a little secret: I want to teach at the MTC when I come back! Odds are pretty good for me because there aren't many Cambodian speakers, and what better way to hold onto my language than that? I would love to be the example for other missionaries the way my teachers have been for me. 

What else has happened this week??? hmmmmm.........okay, so the Thais left our zone this week. There were like 16 of them and now they're all off in Thailand! It was sad to see them go because the Thai sisters had become really good friends with all of us. They were so sweet. I'll send you pictures from the day they left. So the day before they left they sang "God Be With You Til We Meet Again" IN THAI. And it was so so beautiful. Anyway, I miss them. 

Wanna hear something else that's funny? Sis Thain has been trying to come up with Disney characters and/or animals that represent me well. First, she claimed that my Disney character was the Cheshire cat. Why? Apparently because she thinks I'm very wise and I know things, but mostly I just sit in the background and laugh at people. Second, she said that as an animal, I would be a snail.
.................................A SNAIL. So I demanded an explanation for that one and she goes, "You have a really hard shell but on the inside you're all squishy." Which I guess is also kind of true.
I also got to watch a talk by Elder Holland this week. It was amazing, of course. One thing he said that I loved was "Man's extremity is God's opportunity." To accomplish truly amazing things with God's help, we have to push ourselves to the very edge. He told us to "go out there and astonish somebody." Man, I love Holland.
Okay something that made me laugh so hard this week: I got three DearElders on Monday. One from mommy, one from daddy and one from anna. Here is what mommy said: "Giants aren't doing too well so far. haven't won a single game.  0-6. Poor Eli." Here is what daddy said: "The Giants SUCK. They haven't won a single game." Here's what anna said: "I am tearing up as I write this to you, but the Giants are awful this season. They haven't won a single game. Not. One." My whole district thought this was hilarious because they know how much i love the giants. It's good to know that I can trust you guys to keep me updated on whats really important in life aka my BELOVED GIANTS. I'll pray for them.........just kidding...........sort of.
So as you can tell nothing much really happens here at the MTC after a while. Nothing exciting to update you on. So I'll give you guys another weekly scripture assignment: Mosiah 27:28-29 & 31; 3 Nephi 5:13; Phillipians 1:29 (I may have already given you that last one?)
I want you guys to know how much I love this gospel and the happiness it brings and I love the peace and comfort it brings to me. It's worth every sacrifice. In the words of Joseph Smith, "Shall we not go on in so great a cause?"
I love love LOVE you guys so much!!! Have a great week!!!!
Love, Sistaa Daivee

From the left: Sister Ellis, Sister Barber, me and Sister Peterson (they all went to Thailand)
All the girls in our zone before the Thais left
Sis Thain and I in choir. what i do choir what...??? The rumors are true......
Our whole zone the day before the Thais left. See if you can find me!!! its like the wheres waldo of missionaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment